~ }{ ~

~ }{ ~

Sonntag, September 30, 2007

International day of translatorship

Happy professional holidays to all colleagues! This day really means to me because translator is truly my dream job.

It was established in 1990s - and I think it was a really good idea to remember how important translators are. A day when St Jerome, philosopher and translator of the Bible died was chosen for it (more history under the link hidden under the title).


How did I celebrate it today? I did not translate anything and did not meet up with any colleagues, only checked a "debt" translation one of my students emailed me... It was not discussed at the Uni: none seemed to remember it coming on Friday as we had the 5th false alarm about a bomb at the Uni building within one week. Someone is really enjoying themselves but it is really nerve-racking and it ruins all plans and makes everyone nervous! MY class failed on Friday :(


I went on a bit of fotographing binge today, having a 2-hours solitary walk on the river bank near the local port (going to put up September autumn pics in the next post). A couple of colleagues texted me with best wishes on the day. I'm glad I'm having something else to celebrate tomorrow - nameday, and it's teachers' day on the 5th of October (which I can also think of as a professional holiday now!)
Photo: my dictionaries. I have a couple more in my desk and still a couple more (A linguistic encyclopaedia and a thesaurus) lying about in my bedroom

3 Kommentare:

Mintieness hat gesagt…

Happy belated Translatorship day :3
I did not do any translation at all and simply assumed the role a a student slaving herslef towards the deadline of research paper :[

Paula hat gesagt…

Hey! It's first time I read this post... I don't have any idea on why I missed it before! So, better late than never, Happy translator's Day and Happy Teacher's Day too!
And what's that about the false alarm of a bomb at the Uni? Does it have something to do with politics or just was someone stupid that was bored of his life?

Dornroeschen hat gesagt…

After over 10 false ararm calls the culprit was found at last, he turned out to be a 18 or 19 y. o. boy expelled from the Uni last year and he did it because he was streesssed after splitting up with his girlfriend or something as the local news reports said. Thanks goodness it's all over now. I still have to teach an additional class to one of my groups however to make up for the class that failed.