~ }{ ~

~ }{ ~

Samstag, Januar 05, 2008

Jane Eyre, the book and the screen version with Ruth Wilson


It was aired here yesterday for the first time, so on new yer's day I picked up the book to become more familiar with the story than I had been before (I'd seen Zeferelli version about 6 years ago and read an abridged version of the novel around the same time). I've reached visitors at Thornfiels so far, but the 2nd episode of the new series went a little further than that.


First about the book. I am enjoying it but I somewhat find Charlotte's style too wordy and the story wanted more pace I think (now it goes faster, just as I would like!). I like the special atmosphere of the book and it leaves a special feel with me even when I put the book aside.

I expected more of the new series, but I wouldn't say I entirely disliked it. I did not like how they crumpled all the childhood period in only 5 minutes or so. They just showed the surface and Jane's character as a child remained undeveloped. But I think it was important in the book, it explains why Jane was what she was when she came to Thornfield.

I liked Ruth Wilson as Jane, she has somewhat irregular features which suits well to her remoteness and Rochester's perception of her as a "witch" and "elfish creature". But she seems too forward in my opinion compared to the Jane from the book, even though I find the personality as portraid in the series attractive too. Ruth Wilson also reminds me of Victoria hamilton (Queen Victoria in Victoria and Albert and also some parts in Jane Austen adaptations) and it confuses me a little.

I wasn't sure about Toby Stephens as Rochester judging from film stills I'd seen, but the moment I saw him rising from the ground in the fog, I felt there was something "Rochesterish" about him. I still cannot pinpoint exactly what it was, his moodiness maybe.

From the scene Jane helps Rochester on the horse it's very obvious how well they would suit together I think. And after the fire scene it looks very much obvious as if Rochester is going to kiss her, I think it was a bit too bold and early implied (thinking of the forst proposal in Keira Knightley P&P version here). After that scene Jane looks very happy as if he'd just proposed to her, I would expect a more thoughtful reaction from Jane in the book. And she puts on a small red scarf the next morning (see the picture above!), that is just too forward an implication I think ;-)

In general, Jane and Rochester seem to get on very well from very early on, and their inclination towards each other seems too obvious, not the way I would imagine it's in the book, but it looks quite romantic to me so I do not complain. But I do think it's different from the novel.

Adele looks a bit older than it the books, but she's nice. Mrs Fairfax is ok, but I liked the one in the Zeferelli version more. Pilot is cute!

I loved the Thornfield landscapes, they looked so very realistic and English with their lack of sunlight, and the scene of Jane and Rochester meeting was wrapped in a fog.

To wrap up, I'd say that this version does not exactly conform to the book, but it's enjoyable enough once you forget the crumpled and sinister-looking beginning (the Lowood scenes were so awfully scary!). I would describe it as a-too-forward-Jane version. It's somewhat reminiscent of what they did to Fanny in the Mansfield Park adaptation with Frances O'Connor, but I don't complian of that much, I had other issies with that film. I rather like the heroine's development in both Mansfield Park and this Jane Eyre though there was nothing like that in their character in the books!


4 Kommentare:

Annette Piper hat gesagt…

I also saw the first part of the BBC series when it screened here in Australia. I was riveted. Then I missed the last half and was so disappointed in not seeing it I bought the DVD!

I watched it through and thought it was brilliant. Both Ruth Wilson and Toby Stephens are incredible - they light up the screen when they are together and I felt very much like an evesdropper on their lives. Watching the series compelled me to read the book and then I immediately watched the series again - to see how it had been changed.

I still came to the same conclusion though - brilliant - and it completely involved me in the story. It is a passionate rendition too which I am sure has millions of people over the world sighing as they watch the relationship evolve!

Remember it is an adaptation of the book, rather than a completely faithful rendering. That being said, I thought it wonderfully apt for a modern day audience - they kept the vast majority of the story true to the original.

I gather from your comments you have not seen the complete series yet. I will be interested to see your final take on it when you have!

It has turned me into an admirer of both Toby Stephens and Ruth Wilson and I certainly look forward to seeing them in other productions.

Dornroeschen hat gesagt…

I agree, Rith Wilson and Toby Stephens suited so well together (and entertained a thought I wish they made another film starring them as romantic leads)and I was very much involved watching till the end. Just posted my thoughts on the rest of the series.

P.S. Didn't know someone was reading this besides Paula! ;-)

Annette Piper hat gesagt…

Glad you liked the rest of the series! You have also been mentioned here: http://bronteblog.blogspot.com/2008/01/costume-dramas-and-sales.html
So you have more readers than you though ;)

Dornroeschen hat gesagt…

I am all astonishment! :-)I think I now should be more careful and use a spell-checker for typos ;-)
They quoted me as if I were an online magazine with some authority or something/ lol!