~ }{ ~

~ }{ ~

Montag, August 20, 2007

Zauberhafte Wien - Teil 2.1 Vienna the beautiful, part 2.1 - Stephansdom

This is Stephansdom - St Stephan's Cathedral - the main cathedral of Vienna. Mozart was married here, here he and his wife Constance Weber christened two of their sons, and the font is still there (well, actually I have pictures from inside and it will be logical to put them up here even if I went inside only several days after).

Here:

The font

The ceiling and windows near the font part of the cathedral


Statue des heiligen Muttergottes. The legend says she is protector of all servants: once a servant girl was accused of stealing some jewellery from her mistress and came here to seek help. She praed hard and Helige maria made it so that the real culprit was found and the girl was free from all accusations.

A bit of stained glass. Not so detailed and fascinating as in Cologne, but also beautiful in a simplier way


This part of decoration goes back to middle ages, but I am not sure to name the date without looking it up.


And the general interior.

Photos taken not on the same day, I came here more than once:


1) just seen the exterior

2) went inside, but it was time of the mass

3) went inside with an audioguide and saw all the details slowly and carefully. Had a little incident: I asked the guy at the entrance for a ticket and audioguide in German, speaking German of ourse, and the reply was: "Wir haben Fuerungen in 20 verschiedenen Sprachen. Wollen Sie es vielleicht in einer anderen Sprache?" - "We have tours in 20 different languages. Maybe, you need some other language? "Nein", said I. And got my German audioguide which I understood perfectly. When I related this story to Isabella, my Austrian friend she said: "Das ist gemein - du sprichst super Deutsch" - "That's mean - you speak super German!". But still that hurt a little that time in the Cathedral- I have an accent after all. However, spending a succesful holiday there proves I was a competent user of German after all (and a happy one - the more I read and speak it, the more I love it, so eine shcoene Sprache! - it's a beautiful language whatever other people may think!)


The cathedral tiled roof in the evening sun

3 Kommentare:

Paula hat gesagt…

That's great that you stayed steady (expression in doubt) with that guy and got the guide in German as you wanted! I think we never lose our accent, not totally... And as you said, a succesful holiday there proves you are a competent user of German ;)
Talking about German, what happened with "The Neverending Story"? I wish I could print it on colours and send it to you by mail so you needn't highlight it yourself! :P

Dornroeschen hat gesagt…

Paula, as for Neverending Story, I bought the hardcover German version in two colours with a satin bookmark in Vienna, and directly there, at St. Steven's square!! Sorry I made you toil over an etext, and many thanks, I think it will be useful for a friend of mine who shares my love for German :-)

(I will keep it secret from everyone how much I spent on books there - even from myself - it's about my monthly salary!)

Paula hat gesagt…

Well! Thank God you have the book after all! I'm so happy for you!! Don't need to be sorry, it was a pleasure (and an adventure I should say) to go through that etext in German and I also love to have a version of this story on its original language... Good for that friend of yours too ;)
Enjoy the book now!