~ }{ ~

~ }{ ~

Donnerstag, Juni 22, 2006

An Old, Deserted House



"I think an old, deserted house is such a sad sight," said Anne dreamily. "It always seems to me to be thinking about its pastand mourning for its old-time joys. Marilla says that a large family was raised in that old house long ago, and that it was a realpretty place, with a lovely garden and roses climbing all over it. It was full of little children and laughter and songs; and now itis empty, and nothing ever wanders through it but the wind. Howlonely and sorrowful it must feel! Perhaps they all come back onmoonlit nights. . .the ghosts of the little children of long agoand the roses and the songs. . .and for a little while the oldhouse can dream it is young and joyous again."

From Anne of Avonlea by Lucy Maud Montgomery. Seeing old deserted houses I always imagine the same thing Anne does.

3 Kommentare:

Anonym hat gesagt…

I'm imagining that the place you live in is kind of fairy-tale-like... Everything is very dull where I live. I need to go to the country to see that kind of thing here.

Dornroeschen hat gesagt…

It's a small town, and it used to be much more faitry-tale like several years ago, now trees are just being cut down here and there to make place for new houses... I had to say goodbye to a cluster of old poplars I could see from my window. It was heart breaking. Now what I see in their place is a half-built house, screening half of the westerns sky from me. I loved watching sunsets from my study-window so...

Dornroeschen hat gesagt…

There are actually pretty many dull things here (you should see the surroundings of my office!), but I keep my eyes open mostly for the beautiful ones!